Michael Mangan has spent his career helping real estate and business clients on a wide range of matters. He provides practical advice to owners, tenants, and developers, often acting as outside general counsel and litigating on their behalf when necessary. He continues to handle property tax appeals and provides strategic state and local tax advice – as he has for the last twenty years.
REAL ESTATE LAW
Michael handles a wide range of transactional and litigation matters for both residential and commercial property owners and tenants. Michael works to provide practical advice to his clients so that their sale can be closed, lease can be signed, or development can begin. He efficiently completes Your transaction, explains and resolves any problems, and keeps things moving forward – Meeting your goals on your terms is his mission.
Michael has significant experience assisting clients through downturns in the real estate market. He helped many clients through the last recession which has parallels to the real estate terrain during this global pandemic. He provides advice and guidance based upon the latest rules, regulations, and court cases regarding loan modifications, foreclosures, strategic defaults, and other strategies to help clients through these challenging times.
Assessors are often wrong about property tax values due to their use of mass appraisal techniques which failed to properly consider the unique characteristics of each property. They are often pressured to increase taxes by denying, reducing, or disqualifying exempt properties from their rightful status. Obtaining and maintaining an exemption and properly contesting over assessments or disqualifications require a technical level of Oregon property tax knowledge and a deep understanding of valuation theory and methodology. As a former real estate and business appraiser, Michael brings his experience to bear and helps clients obtain fair and just results.
REAL ESTATE LITIGATION
If you’re faced with a real estate dispute, Michael will evaluate the case and make sure that your property or contract rights are protected. He has a unique talent for resolving disputes for his clients by providing straightforward advice to his clients and practical solutions for all involved – whether that means going to trial or developing reasonable settlement agreement.
Michael is at his best when he his acting as outside general counsel for his business clients. He provides advice regarding all aspects of business, including corporate governance, human resource, and succession planning. When necessary, he brings in his partners to handle more complicated matters while remaining engaged with his clients to assure they get the explanations they need and that their goals are met.
- JD SUPRA: 2018 Reader’s Choice Award in Real Estate – Top 10 JD Supra Reader Choice Awards 2018
- Drafter: Heavy Equipment Rental Tax (“HERT”), HB 4139, enacted as ORS 320.400 to ORS 320.450
- Provided comments on behalf of American Rental Association and Oregon Equipment Rental Association on Oregon Department of Revenue Rules on HERT (November 2018)
- Obtained precedent setting judgment in favor of taxpayers in AKS Engineering v. Washington County Assessor and Oregon Department of Revenue
- Speaker: Westside Neighbors for Tax Reform: “Oregon’s Property Tax System: Old and New Issues for Taxpayers”
- Lunchtime Series: Oregon’s Real Estate and Land Use Group: “Oregon’s Property Tax System: Old and New Issues for Taxpayers”
- Speaker: 45th Annual Taxation Conference for the Appraisal and ad Valorem Taxation of Communications, Energy, and Transportation Properties: “Long-Term Growth Rate in the Income Approach”
- Oregon State Bar LAWS Committee Member
- Oregon State Bar Fee Dispute Resolution Arbitrator
- Willamette University (2000)
- Lewis and Clark Law (2009)