Black Helterline’s experience with cross-border operations grew from the counseling it provided to its manufacturing and forest products clients in establishing plants and other business operations in Canada. From that base, the firm has built close relationships with prominent members of the Canadian business, legal and government communities. The firm now represents U.S. and Canadian businesses in Canada/U.S. cross-border investment and trade activities.
The firm is involved in all aspects of planning for foreign companies and individuals investing in the U.S., from choosing the right corporate structure, to financing, analyzing operations, restructurings, mergers and business dispositions.
In addition, Black Helterline has one of the most experienced business immigration practices on the West Coast. The firm frequently helps U.S. and Canadian clients obtain immigration authorizations critical to the success of clients’ cross-border investments and transactions.
In 2004, the Canadian government appointed Black Helterline partner Jim Baumgartner to serve as the Honorary Consul for Canada in the United States.
Representative Black Helterline U.S./Canada Cross Border experience:
- Representation of two of Canada’s leading banks in their U.S. lending activities
- Representation of a Canadian provincial government agency in connection with U.S. activities
- Regular representation of U.S. and Canadian employers with cross-border transfers of key employees and immigration issues
- Guidance and tax planning for Canadian citizens
- Purchasing of U.S. real property by Canadian citizens
- Assistance to Canadian construction company with contracting issues in the U.S.
- Representation of large Canadian agrichemical company in restructuring of its U.S. activities and operations
- Assistance to U.S. companies, including HVAC distributors and recorded music distributors, in establishing subsidiaries and branch operations in Canada
- Assistance to Canadian businesses with the establishment and operation of U.S. branches, subsidiaries and strategic alliances
- Development of U.S. intellectual property protection programs for Canadian companies in technology and other industries
- Counseling of U.S. and Canadian multinationals in connection with transfer pricing and other cross-border tax issues