Tyler Volm’s practice includes business transactions and civil litigation with a focus on labor and employment matters. Tyler works with clients to ensure compliance with changes in the law, seeking proactive solutions to minimize the risk of litigation, while vigorously advocating for clients in state and federal court when necessary. As a Portland native, Tyler has a well-rounded understanding of the local and regional economies, which helps him tailor solutions for companies of all sizes and across industries, and his understanding of how business needs blend with employment law helps Tyler offer creative solutions in both the board room and the courtroom.
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT LAW
Tyler regularly advises clients on a wide range of issues including managing and responding to potential employee claims, best practices for preventing harassment, discrimination, and retaliation, wage and hour compliance, leave and disability laws, employee discipline, recordkeeping requirements, and labor relations and collective bargaining. He also assists clients with employee handbook and policy preparation and enforcement. Tyler’s business and employment experience also merge naturally in the area of trade secret protection, including drafting and enforcing confidentiality, non-solicitation, and non-competition agreements.
Tyler advises clients on entity selection and formation, financing, and business transfers, including succession planning. Tyler also assists with contract and lease drafting, corporate governance, and executive compensation issues.
In addition to representing clients in state and federal courts, Tyler also regularly represents clients before state and federal agencies, assists with internal investigations, and helps clients through negotiations, mediations, and arbitrations.
REPRESENTATIVE PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Oregon State Bar Business Law Section: Executive Committee Member
- Multnomah Bar Foundation: Board Member
- Multnomah Bar Association Young Lawyers Section: Past President
- Gus J. Solomon Inn of Court: Executive Committee: Treasurer
- Northwest Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Association: Chair
- Big Brother (through NW Big Brothers Big Sisters) 2011 – 2018
REPRESENTATIVE PRESENTATIONS / REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- University of Oregon, B.A., Departmental Honors in English (2005)
- Lewis & Clark Law School, J.D., cum laude, Business Law Certificate (2008)