Remi Baptiste’s practice areas include business, real estate, intellectual property and franchises.
- Start Ups. Assist clients in entity choice, formation, organization, and funding of new business ventures in technology, service, manufacturing, real estate, and other sectors to help achieve entrepreneurial vision.
- Mergers and Acquisitions. Negotiate and document transactions for the sale and purchase of business assets, sale of stock, and entity mergers in manufacturing, retail, personal service, and financial service sectors. Counsel clients in transaction structures to achieve business goals and minimize tax liability.
- Finance. Negotiate and structure credit facilities and related collateral arrangements, including real estate and business acquisition loans, real estate development loans, insider financing, and working capital loans for business borrowers and institutional lenders.
- Sale of Goods. Draft terms of sale, warranties, and other liability mitigation agreements. Negotiate and document supplier and private label agreements.
- Raising Capital. Advise clients in structure and documentation of private placements and compliance with applicable state blue sky and federal securities laws.
- Employment. Advise companies and individuals in independent contractor and employment matters, including the negotiation and drafting agreements.
- Entity Governance. Advise entity clients on matters related to entity governance and fiduciary duties.
- Buy-Sell; Business Continuity. Advise business and individual clients on matters related to buy-sell, shareholder, partnership, and limited liability company agreements.
- Growth Planning. Counsel business clients on issues related to the challenges of growth, including financing, management and organizational structures, and risk mitigation.
- Succession/Exit Planning. Assist clients in positioning internally and in marketplace to realize on business investments through transition to next generation or exit through sale.
- Purchase and Sale. Negotiate, document, and close transactions for the purchase and sale of commercial and investment real estate, including IRC Section 1031 like-kind exchange transactions.
- Development. Negotiate and draft development agreements, construction contracts and other agreements related to the development of commercial and residential real estate.
- Leasing. Negotiate and draft commercial leases for property owners and business tenants. Counsel clients on ongoing commercial leasing issues, including tenant relations, tenant relationship documentation, and lease enforcement.
- Boundary Line Disputes. Assist clients with the resolution of boundary line disputes.
- Development. Assist clients in negotiating and drafting intellectual property development agreements from provider and customer perspectives.
- Protection. Advise clients on the institution of protocols and use of registrations for the protection of company intellectual property, including trade secrets.
- Licensing. Negotiate and draft of license agreements for patented and trade secret technologies and software for owners and licensees.
- Enforcement. Represented trade secret owner in lawsuit for misappropriation of trade secret by former distributor and former employee resulting in major cash settlement to client.
- Assessment of Opportunities. Counsel clients in methods for the selection and assessment of franchise opportunities, including the avoidance of common pitfalls. Educate clients about the applicable legal and regulatory framework for the relationship between franchisors and franchisees. Review and counsel clients with respect to all relevant franchise agreements.
- Establishment. Assist clients in start up related activities, including entity choice and formation, financing, leasing, establishment of employment practices, and other matters.
- Relationship. Counsel clients in disputes with franchisors.
- Manhattan College, B.A., magna cum laude (1987)
- Lewis & Clark Law School, J.D. (1993)